Booth Upgrade and More Cars Painted
Hopefully you all had an excellent Thanksgiving! I am starting a week of vacation which means lots of projects around the house. One of the many tasks is the conversion of the kids playroom into my new office and the transformation of the loft into the new playroom. This is a good move for me.
Among some of the adjustments today was the movement of my paint booth to my new office. The window exhaust panel fits nicely in that window as well. Of course a test run in the new location was in order!
Once in position in the new office I decided to make a modification to the paint booth. I installed six brass hooks inside the booth to hold paint droppers. This will make it easy to find these items and keep more objects with wet paint contained within the painting chamber. This was a very easy mod to make!
I had taken the lettering off two of my new Gunderson 2420 gondolas this morning - one MP and one CNW. With another 14 coming to make an even two-dozen, I had better get started painting the fleet. I also needed to an another coat of orange paint to the Seico Pulpwood car I have been working on. Only the upward surfaces needed painted so this car would only get painted upside down.
Before painting came some of the preparation - getting everything in order. These gondolas will be the first NTO/TGN cars to be painted brown. For this color I have decided to use a 50/50 mix of Scalecoat II Boxcar Red S2013 and Scalecoat II Boxcar Red #2 S2087. Similarly to the bottle I marked for the Y&MV 25/75 brown formula, I marked a bottle for this 50/50 mix.
First up for painting was the ICG Pulpwood Car.
My son Jacob took a quick video clip of the paint booth in action:
Next up were the two gondolas. I decided not to prime these cars to see just how well the Scalecoat II paint covers the models. With a total of 24 of them in the works, priming each would be a lot of extra paint. This is why I decided to start with one green one and one brown one to see if I can tell the difference once the cars dry.
All done. At first glance it appears that the single coat covered the gons quite well. Tomorrow they will get a closer inspection once they are dry.